How to get a free room upgrade? - Las Vegas Nightclubs - Message Board, Forum & Trip Reports

How to get a free room upgrade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get a free room upgrade?

Hi everyone, me and my 10 pals are arriving in Vegas next April and are staying in the Signature MGM for 6 nights! I have heard through many other websites it is possible to get free room upgrades if you tip the check in staff discreetly. Is this true? And if so does it always work? Or is it something which is fairly easy to do in the cheaper hotels! If anyone has done it in the Signature it would be great to get some feedback!

Originally posted by Nick Cheshire View Post
    Hi everyone, me and my 10 pals are arriving in Vegas next April and are staying in the Signature MGM for 6 nights! I have heard through many other websites it is possible to get free room upgrades if you tip the check in staff discreetly. Is this true? And if so does it always work? Or is it something which is fairly easy to do in the cheaper hotels! If anyone has done it in the Signature it would be great to get some feedback!
    I'm not sure how well it works at Signature since it's not your standard hotel but are more like condos that get rented out like hotel rooms, but the method is called "sandwiching". The basic sandwich is you go up to check in, make some casual small talk to the clerk, when they ask for your ID and credit card, you give it to them with $20 folded in between (or a higher amount if you want to improve your chances). Then you ask if there are any complimentary upgrades or if they can help make your trip more enjoyable etc.

www.frontdesktip.com for more info and comments from people trying it at specific hotels.

Comment

I dont think it will work at the sig!!!! but maybe royale can chime in
      it's that time again, let's get #28 gentleman....for the boss

Comment

I got an upgrade at the signature before, (at least that's what the front desk clerk told me) but my friend paid a stupid amount for that room. paid the regular room rate, when we could have gotten it much cheaper through a different site. and we didn't do the sandwiching. I just asked, "is it possible to get a free upgrade? we're celebrating a birthday" i think the clerk just felt bad for us cause they saw we got ripped off.

I know the $20/$50 trick, but i don't think it's usually necessary. If it's not busy, just ask if it's possible to get a free upgrade. say you're celebrating a special anniversary or something.
        Half the time it's worked for me in Vegas just asking, and they know i'm not tipping.

I have done the sandwiching before, but I feel weird doing it for some reason.. I don't think I'm smooth enough.

Comment

Well there are 11 of us and we have 4 rooms, i will tell the other lads that im going to do it and it will be up to them to try it, but the way I look at it they can only say no! I am aiming to get upgraded to a 2 bed suite!

Comment

I stayed at the Sig and I actually went with the advice I saw on most tip websites, is that don't even bother. The top penthouse suites at the Sigs are mostly VRBO, so the hotel management don't have complete control over them. The standard rooms are sweet enough as it is.. I didn't feel like I got cheated by not asking for an upgrade. You can try if you like..and let us know how it goes

Comment

What is VRBO?

Comment

Well there are 11 of us and we have 4 rooms, i will tell the other lads that im going to do it and it will be up to them to try it, but the way I look at it they can only say no! I am aiming to get upgraded to a 2 bed suite!
                nick,

londonuk and myself are staying in a 2 bed room suite at the signature for our trip over new years. will let you know if anything works.

i doubt it, considering we are getting the room direct from the owner rather than the hotel, and we have pre paid, however maybe tipping the front desk will get us some kind of other comps... not sure what they will be though.
                27th December 2009 - 6th January 2010

Sun 27/12 - Body English
                Mon 28/12 - Jet
                Tue 29/12 - Pure
                Wed 30/12 - Black Eyed Peas Concert + Tryst
                Thu 31/12 - NYE!!! - JC Party @ Cathouse
                Fri 01/01 - Moon
                Sat 02/01 - XS
                Sun 03/01 - The Bank
                Mon 04/01 - TBC
                Tue 05/01 - Blueman Group + Lavo
                Wed 06/01 - Flight home!

Comment

What is VRBO?
                  Its a hotel room owned by a private owner, but available for rent.

Comment

Originally posted by marrc View Post
                    nick,

londonuk and myself are staying in a 2 bed room suite at the signature for our trip over new years. will let you know if anything works.

i doubt it, considering we are getting the room direct from the owner rather than the hotel, and we have pre paid, however maybe tipping the front desk will get us some kind of other comps... not sure what they will be though.
                    If you dont mind me asking how much are you paying for a 2 bed suite per night? And how do you book direct?

Comment

If you dont mind me asking how much are you paying for a 2 bed suite per night? And how do you book direct?
                      it is a 300 USD ish average. (higher as we are there for new years) 3000 USD in total + some fee

i can give you the owners details if you want? although cant recommend using them, until after i have stayed there in dec/jan.
                      27th December 2009 - 6th January 2010

Sun 27/12 - Body English
                      Mon 28/12 - Jet
                      Tue 29/12 - Pure
                      Wed 30/12 - Black Eyed Peas Concert + Tryst
                      Thu 31/12 - NYE!!! - JC Party @ Cathouse
                      Fri 01/01 - Moon
                      Sat 02/01 - XS
                      Sun 03/01 - The Bank
                      Mon 04/01 - TBC
                      Tue 05/01 - Blueman Group + Lavo
                      Wed 06/01 - Flight home!