LOST... The Final Season - Las Vegas Nightclubs - Message Board, Forum & Trip Reports

LOST... The Final Season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NyceGuy
    replied
    My attempt at explaining Lost:

    For thousands of years, man has come across this mysterious island where strange occurrences happen that cannot be explained.

    Beginning of timeline can be traced back to Egyptian times.

    Egyptians arrive at some point, realize the island has "special" properties. Some good (healing), some bad (infertility). So the Egyptians attempt to discover or understand as best they can using their knowledge up to that point.

    For example, the statue was one of the Tawaret, the goddess of childbirth and fertility.



    And their attempts to use this inexplicable power source that was on the island led to the realization that they could not use or release it, so they built the "cork" we see in the finale to contain it.

    Fast forward to Pregnant woman landing on island after shipwreck and meeting "mother". Based on the fact that "mother" is speaking Latin, we can assume we're looking at some point during the Roman empire rule. She is a protector and that is passed on the job to Jacob.

    Now, before I move on, let me say that I think the producers of the show purposefully left many things ambiguous and vague without stumbling too much into religious territory. They left these ideas open to interpretation, evidenced by the glass window behind Christian Shepard during the final scene. It had signs of a few different religions. It applies to all, but we're not speaking of one in particular.

    I believe that the source of power on the island is inexplicable and deals with the afterlife, paranormal and the higher powers we as humans cannot comprehend. Which is why humans have spent thousands of years trying to understand it, without success. This also explains why characters cannot explain it either (Jacob's mom, Jacob, Albert, Farraday).

    What the show has taught us is that the island is special because it has very powerful pockets of energy. It's location makes it perfect for holding these pockets. This energy can be explained how YOU the viewer sees fit. It is both highly powerful electro magnetic energy and it's also something else entirely. It heals and mystifies. It turns men evil and good. It is faith vs science (one of the shows main themes throughout).

    Now, let's get back to Jacob and the man in black. The man in black was struggling with his curiosity to leave and see what the world has to offer. But Jacob was ok with staying and following the rules. Their mother was afraid of them being corrupted by man, who come to the island and try to tap into this energy.

    Man cannot comprehend it nor should they, it should be kept from them for their own good. It can also be interpreted as man must be kept from this or else they can unleash evil by putting out the light. The protector of the island sees fit as to how to protect it, but the one main goal is constant throughout. Never let the light be released. Once chosen as the protector, he/she can use the power given to them by the island to be somewhat "magical".

    Man in black becomes obsessed with the idea of using the energy and leaving the island. So much so, he kills the woman who raised him. The once balanced struggle of good and evil inside of him, has now changed. The obsession is making him evil. Fast forward to Jacob throwing the man in black into the cavern. Since he can't be killed according to the rules, he is turned into a being of evil (smoke monster) who can only take form of the dead. His goodness is wiped away, replaced by the evil he allowed to corrupt him. He remains nameless, because you as the VIEWER can call him the devil, or whatever else you like.

    Jacob must now make sure man in black never reaches the light again.

    Richard and the ship crash on island. Rousseau crashes on island. Desmond crashes on island. People are still crashing on the island, and man in black tries to corrupt them to use for his own benefit.

    Fast forward to 1970's. Dharma Initiative arrives and begins building stations all around the island. They attempt to study the energy scientifically. According to an old video that came out after season 2, the DI was created to study and try to attempt to change the core values of the Valenzetti equation by science alone.

    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-eHEYswgK8[/ame]

    They failed because the core values weren't environmental or scientific. They referred to the candidates. What the DI understood to be core values of the Valenzetti equation was nothing more than names Jacob, who was unaware of such an equation to begin with. He had other names with numbers next to them, but they were crossed off as candidates, so only the 6 remained - 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42. Valenzetti correctly determined the correct numbers, but he was unaware it was the Losties themselves.

    The Losties hold the key to saving the world by stopping Man in black (Locke). But, as we were told by Farraday during season 5, what we didn't realize was that the numbers are fixed, but it's the humans who are the variables. In other words, Fate vs Free Will.

    The island is a place that is close to the afterlife/paranormal/etc. That's why we hear voices who are the dead who can't move on. It's so close to being a place of timelessness, which Farraday and his team show by launching that test rocket which ends up landing with 8 minutes missing or so during season 4. So that's why we also get the inexplicable time skips. Being on the island too long, and you lose your sense of time/space (like Desmond did in the episode "The Constant").

    In the end, the flash sideways were merely a world where they needed to find each other again. Reason being that they all have died at different times.

    "Some have died before you, some long after." - Christian Shepard

    Hurley was already done with his job as the island protector. We're not sure how much time has passed, but it doesn't matter. The world we are in now is one of no time and no place. That's why hurley says to Ben, "You were a great number 2."

    The producers have stated throughout the entire series run, that this show was always about the characters. Their relationships have always been the main focus. It's about how man deals with a notion of higher power, and inexplicable forces. It's about they deal with science vs religion, fate and freewill, good vs evil. And how we as an audience grow to love them and care about what happens to them. It's why we can name all of them by face, because they made sure we do.

    The end...
    Last edited by NyceGuy; 05-27-2010, 11:54 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • yo vanilla
    replied
    I thought the ending was a great close and I also don't mind some things were left unanswered. Part of the fun was finding answers from your own interpretations. Where's the mystery otherwise? Anyway I bet they explain some of the unexplained in the Season 6 dvd's

    Leave a comment:


  • Alisha673
    replied
    Originally posted by darksideofjae View Post
    First let me start by stating that I felt the ending was a cop out. Here's my interpretation.


    The way I took the ending was that everything that happened on the island really happened. I'm having a hard time putting what the sideways world is. I feel it's like purgatory, but if that's the case, what was the purpose of plugging the island? But I feel everyone died at some point in life and all met up there at the end to be ferried off to heaven. BUT, if Jacob was alive all that time and richard as well, why did Hugo and Ben die? Hugo was Jacob and in charge of the island and Ben was Richard. Technically they should still be alive. Obviously they stayed on the island for a while considering Hugo said "You were a great number 2".

    Questions that I want to know is, why was it that Michael and the "Whisperers" unable to leave the island. I know he stated because they died with regret or something like that on the island. Also, throughout all of this, they never explained what was so special about Walt, or why was it that the asian guy (can't remember his name) could communicate with dead spirits. What was Daniel Faradays and Charlotte's connection. One other thing, when they got off the island why were they so pressed to get back to the island.

    There's a bajillion more questions that I have that were left unanswered but whatever.
    I agree with you with the ending but it sucks the show ended cause I would have also like to see how everyone else lived it out til they died, I think Hurley was not forever alive like Jacob. When Jack gave him the water he did not say the saying he needed to that was done when Jacob's Mother gave it to him and when Jacob gave it to Jack. The purpose of plugging the island it's cause Jacob said if the light goes out then the good in people goes out. They made it seem like that was where it came from. I understand why Michael would not be around he never redemed himself that I remember but Walt I would like to know about. Why he was so special. I would think even if all of them died of old age Walt would still not be dead yet thus not included in the group, but who knows. Danial and Charlotte's connection was that they were in love and Charlotte died but they were not really part of the original story so they were not included same with the asian guy I believe even though I thought he should have been included. Also when they got off the island they were so pressed to get back cause things were supossed to happen a certian way and they couldn't with them gone.

    I loved the episode!!! I felt it brought a close to the show for me. There were so little people left I don't think they could have continued the show without them. I loved all the flashbacks when people remembered!! I think the wirtters were brillant in the way the showed ended. The only question un-answered for me was why was Walt so special?

    Leave a comment:


  • WarreN
    replied
    Originally posted by darksideofjae View Post
    First let me start by stating that I felt the ending was a cop out. Here's my interpretation.


    The way I took the ending was that everything that happened on the island really happened. I'm having a hard time putting what the sideways world is. I feel it's like purgatory, but if that's the case, what was the purpose of plugging the island? But I feel everyone died at some point in life and all met up there at the end to be ferried off to heaven. BUT, if Jacob was alive all that time and richard as well, why did Hugo and Ben die? Hugo was Jacob and in charge of the island and Ben was Richard. Technically they should still be alive. Obviously they stayed on the island for a while considering Hugo said "You were a great number 2".
    I think this is correct. Everything happened and time didn't matter, they all died eventually at different times in their lives and had to come together in the sideways world before being able to move on in the after-life. If you just take into consideration that time has no meaning then I think it makes it easier to wrap your head around.

    This being said, I'm not very happy with the show as a whole. The ending was nice and fuzzy and everything and I'll be honest, I cried a bit ( im a pussy, yea yea ) but I feel like they could have done so much more with it. There were plenty of answers to be given...I mean what about Dharma? We didn't really learn shit about the hatch or the numbers or the 4 toed statue, the origin of the island....I mean wtf? I think the show grew out of control in the writers heads and they couldn't figure out a way to bring it all together properly so they took a pretty easy way out. That's just how I feel.

    It's over now, but man, what a great ride either way.

    I'll always be a Lostie

    Here's a decent read i've found on the finale as well: http://sokpuppet.blogspot.com/

    Leave a comment:


  • Disco Stu
    replied
    Should have read:

    ... "not" encountered the island.

    Originally posted by Disco Stu View Post
    So what did everyone think of the finale? My interpretation is that there was no survivors from the original plane crash and that the island was hell like Richard said and they all had to get off it to move on to the next life. As for the alternate life, that's what their lives would have been had they encountered the island.

    Any other interpretations? I know mine can be shot down.

    Leave a comment:


  • darksideofjae
    replied
    First let me start by stating that I felt the ending was a cop out. Here's my interpretation.


    The way I took the ending was that everything that happened on the island really happened. I'm having a hard time putting what the sideways world is. I feel it's like purgatory, but if that's the case, what was the purpose of plugging the island? But I feel everyone died at some point in life and all met up there at the end to be ferried off to heaven. BUT, if Jacob was alive all that time and richard as well, why did Hugo and Ben die? Hugo was Jacob and in charge of the island and Ben was Richard. Technically they should still be alive. Obviously they stayed on the island for a while considering Hugo said "You were a great number 2".

    Questions that I want to know is, why was it that Michael and the "Whisperers" unable to leave the island. I know he stated because they died with regret or something like that on the island. Also, throughout all of this, they never explained what was so special about Walt, or why was it that the asian guy (can't remember his name) could communicate with dead spirits. What was Daniel Faradays and Charlotte's connection. One other thing, when they got off the island why were they so pressed to get back to the island.

    There's a bajillion more questions that I have that were left unanswered but whatever.

    Leave a comment:


  • Disco Stu
    replied
    So what did everyone think of the finale? My interpretation is that there was no survivors from the original plane crash and that the island was hell like Richard said and they all had to get off it to move on to the next life. As for the alternate life, that's what their lives would have been had they encountered the island.

    Any other interpretations? I know mine can be shot down.

    Leave a comment:


  • yo vanilla
    replied
    i think jack's going to die and hurley will have to be the new jacob.

    Leave a comment:


  • WarreN
    replied
    Originally posted by Alisha673 View Post
    Originally posted by WarreN View Post
    Originally posted by darksideofjae View Post
    I kinda had a feeling about Jack since the beginning, but never thought they'd go that route. Kind of disappointing.
    Indeed it was predictable...
    I agree but I thought maybe they would find some other way to make it end and still waiting for the explaination about the other life we are seeing these people live so maybe they do. Sunday night on Jimmy Kimmel is a special Aloha to Lost with all the cast and three alt endings they are going to show I guess.
    oooo nice. Good find!

    Leave a comment:


  • Alisha673
    replied
    Originally posted by WarreN View Post
    Originally posted by darksideofjae View Post
    I kinda had a feeling about Jack since the beginning, but never thought they'd go that route. Kind of disappointing.
    Indeed it was predictable...
    I agree but I thought maybe they would find some other way to make it end and still waiting for the explaination about the other life we are seeing these people live so maybe they do. Sunday night on Jimmy Kimmel is a special Aloha to Lost with all the cast and three alt endings they are going to show I guess.

    Leave a comment:


  • WarreN
    replied
    Originally posted by darksideofjae View Post
    I kinda had a feeling about Jack since the beginning, but never thought they'd go that route. Kind of disappointing.
    Indeed it was predictable...

    Leave a comment:


  • darksideofjae
    replied
    I kinda had a feeling about Jack since the beginning, but never thought they'd go that route. Kind of disappointing.

    Leave a comment:


  • WarreN
    replied
    ***TONIGHT***

    OMGZ!!!!!!!!!! Im pretty fucken stoked, not gonna lie. I just hope the Sharks game doesn't go into OT. I'll most likely have to download it anyway...no way im turning of the game. DAMN IT! haha

    btw...rofl

    Leave a comment:


  • WarreN
    replied
    Originally posted by mysticsavage View Post
    Originally posted by WarreN View Post
    Omfg what an episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There was a lot of hate all over the internet for last night's episode, but I don't see it. I really dug it.
    Originally posted by NyceGuy View Post
    I think last night's episode was Lost at its best.
    100% agreed. Awesome episode and some major answers!

    Leave a comment:


  • NyceGuy
    replied
    I think last night's episode was Lost at its best.

    Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
X